Simple Safety Rules:
- Read EVERY label, EVERY time! Not only food labels, anything that has ingredients should be verified for safety. (I.e. cosmetics, toiletries, pharmacuticals)
- Know the signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction.
- ALWAYS carry your epinephrine! Epinephrine is the first line of treatment for a severe allergic reaction. Prompt treatment saves lives!
- Educate everyone that touches the life of the allergic person on the seriousness, how to recognize symptoms, prevention and treatment. Using a Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan makes communicating these items clear and consistent for everyone.
- ALWAYS communicate your allergy. Whenever you dine away from home, whether it is at restaurant or at a family/friends home, inquire about ingredients and cross contamination risk.
- ALWAYS be prepared and have a plan. Almost anything is possible with careful and proactive planning.
- Have the allergic person wear a medical id bracelet.
Together, we can help keep food-allergic children safe!